Avodart is the generic formulation of Dutasteride, a drug that is used in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia or better known as enlarged prostate. Avodart is classed as a triple 5alpha-reductase inhibitor. Avodart works by preventing the conversion of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone, and may also be prescribed off label for other uses. It is recommended to buy Avodart after consulting with your health physician.
Proper way of taking Avodart
- Take the Avodart pills only as advised by the general practitioner.
- Swallow the whole Avodart pill without opening or chewing it, either with or without food.
- Avodart is prescribed for long-term treatment but it is not advisable to take Avodart for longer than the course duration.
- Get the blood check at regular intervals for any harmful side effects.
Follow these precautions while taking Avodart
- Avodart is indicated for use in men only. Women and children, especially pregnant women, should not handle Avodart medication as the active ingredient can be absorbed through the skin when the capsules are broken or leaking.
- Do not donate blood if you’ve taken Avodart and wait at least six months after the end of the treatment to do so. Avodart has a very long half-life and higher elimination time and if the blood containing Avodart is transfused to a pregnant woman, the unborn baby may develop birth defects.
- Since there is a risk of developing prostate cancer, the patient should take up suitable health checks to ensure that Avodart drug is safe to use.
- Avodart, when tested with certain drugs caused severe health complications. So people with high blood pressure, HIV or consuming HIV drugs should refrain from consuming this pill
Know the side effects before consuming Avodart
Side effects of taking Avodart can occur long after the drug has been discontinued. Check with the physician regarding any persistent or severe symptoms. Side effects of Avodart include:
- Tenderness in breasts
- Breast enlargement
- Prostate cancer
- Reduced sex drive