Colospa has a major therapeutic role in treating irritable bowel syndrome that is usually caused due to cramping of abdomen. The active component in Colospa which is Mebeverine, works by relaxing the muscles surrounding the gut. This action relieves the gut of painful contractions without reducing its functionality. It does not have any effect on the uterus muscles or bronchi. It merely reduces the spasms occurring in organs associated in the gastrointestinal functioning. So one can also buy Colospa and employ it in the treatment of gastrointestinal spasm.
Proper way of taking Colospa
- The oral Colospa tablet must be consumed daily for about 3 times a day, if possible before meals.
- The daily recommended dose of Colospa 135 mg must not be increased or decreased without consulting a doctor.
- The dosage can be reduced gradually if any improvements are noticed in the condition for which an individual is taking Colospa.
Follow these precautions while taking Colospa
- Due to the dizziness caused by taking Colospa, it better to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery.
- Pregnant women must only take Colospa after discussing with the doctor about the risks and benefits involved in taking Colospa during pregnancy.
- Colospa medicine is only made for children above 10 years old.
- Mebeverine must be stored at room temperature and away from her or moisture
- Colospa aggravates the conditions such as porphyria and hypersensitivity hence such people must abstain from taking the medicine.
Know the side effects before consuming Colospa
Adverse side effects resulting from Colospa may include:
- Allergic reactions to Colospa including hives on the skin or swelling of the face or throat
- Slower heartbeat
- Loss of appetite