Desyrel, which is the trade name for Trazodone, is a drug that is used primarily in the treatment of the major depressive disorder. Desyrel drug falls under the class of serotonin agonist and reuptake inhibitor (SARI). Since the drug has sedative and anti-anxiety effects, patients buy Desyrel to treat various conditions like insomnia, anxiety disorder, panic disorder, to control nightmares, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), and alcohol withdrawal symptoms among others.
Proper way of taking Desyrel
- Follow the Desyrel dosage instructions as provided by the doctor and by reading the directions that come with the product.
- Take the Desyrel dose after a light snack or short meal.
- Do not increase or decrease the dose, or stop taking Desyrel abruptly without consulting the physician.
- Desyrel takes at least one to four weeks before showing an improvement in the condition. Check with doctor regarding other options if it is not effective after the initial dosing period.
Read these precautions before taking Desyrel
- Do not take Desyrel if you are allergic to Trazodone, have taken a MAO inhibitor in the past fourteen days, or had a recent a heart attack.
- Inform the physician if you are pregnant, nursing, planning to become pregnant, or get pregnant while taking Desyrel.
- Desyrel may not be suitable in patients who have sickle cell anaemia, liver or kidney disease, have a history of alcohol or drug abuse, or certain mental health disorders.
- Check with the physician on possible drug interactions with Desyrel.
- Desyrel drug is not indicated for use in children.
Know the side effects before consuming Desyrel
The side effects of consuming Desyrel are,
- Nasal congestion
- Muscle pain
- Stomach pain
- Mood and behavioural changes
- Trouble breathing
- Memory problems
- Suicidal thoughts or actions